Wednesday, September 19, 2012

My new favorite body part

It's been much too long since I shared my adventures with you all, so here's a synopsis of my last 10 days (I'm hoping to get some sympathetic "aaaw, its ok, now I understand" sentiments.
So last Monday was quiz three, which I studied for like a mad lady since my anatomy grade was a little borderline (the quiz also covered physio, histology, biochem and epidemiology/biostats). Did well on the quiz (yay). Then Friday was our anatomy practical exam where the instructors put little tags all over the cadavers and ask questions like "which nerve innervates this muscle?" "what flows through this vessel?" "if I cut this nerve here, what functions are lost?" etc. (with a few "easy" questions thrown in asking "what's this?"). So I spent all last week prepping for that (about 5 hrs a day in lab... pretty sure I permanently smelled like fermaldahyde last week). This was all in addition to normal classes. All the exams led to a back log of work plus a parental visit on Saturday and a visit to this years OEC class on Sunday. Now I have a little room to breathe and tell you about our dissections over the last week or two :)

Last week we dissected the heart, (we'd already taken the heart out of the chest, now we actually cut open the chambers and looked inside) and I have a new favorite body part. Amazing pictures (not mine) here: http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/chordae-tendineae
This is inside your heart. The little strings are called chordae tendineae and they attach to little muscles called papillary muscles. The chordae tendineae attach to your mitral and tricuspid valves in your heart (those are the ones between the atria and the ventricles) and hold the valves shut while the ventricles contract. These pretty little muscles and chords are what makes sure blood flows FORWARD into your lungs/body instead of backwards into the atria/veins. Aren't they gorgeous? Anyhow the heart dissection was pretty much amazing. If you're ever bored, look up pictures of the internal anatomy of the heart and you'll be completely amazed.
Last week we also dissected the posterior mediastinum- think of this as the inside of the back wall of your chest cavity (so if I cut you open from the front, then pulled out your lungs, its the area thats usually behind the lungs). And there, we discovered that Stanley had bone cancer. We'd found one bony nodule/mass on his external ribs, but didn't know what it was. When we found a second nodule, this one internally we asked about it and the docs said its most likely bone cancer. That one was a little eerie for me...
This week we've so far only dissected the abdominal wall, inguinal canal and testes I'll refrain from sharing details to keep the guys from shuddering, other than to say when you dissect out the testis, it really does look like a nut, specifically like a walnut in the shell still.. or maybe an egg (and my roommate says Russian slang calls them eggs...) funny that we use anatomically accurate slang.

We've also started meeting with our physical exam groups. So far we've only worked with taking vitals, which isn't really new for me. I'm not really impressed with our facilitator so far, but my friend (in my group) and I decided we'll give him one more meeting before we talk to the IORs about him. He's very casual and didn't really teach much, which was really hard for the people in our group who had never taken a manual blood pressure or listend to lung sounds (example: I asked "where specifically do we listen to lung sounds?" since this is a point we'll eventually be evaluated on in our practical exams and his answer was "oh you know, 2 or 3 places on the front on each side and 2 or 3 on the back"... no, actually I don't know, that's why I'm here. Oh well...

So now that I've vomited the last 10 days of my life onto the page, I"ll try and post more often... all this writing is a little overwhelming :p

2 comments:

  1. We literally have heart strings that look like a combo of scaffolding and a complicated pulley system. Wat. I imagine Stanley's heart looks a little less red (than the picture...is that a scope in a live heart?) and more grey-ish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if this is a live or a recently dead heart. There's no blood in it so if they're alive, they must by on bypass (yes, we have a machine that can pump blood for your heart. SO COOL.) The cadaver hearts are more brownish in color and they're quite a bit stiffer (there are stories of people's hearts stopping in open heart surgery and the surgeon will essentially squeeze the ventricles to make them pump, sort of like open chest CPR... you wouldn't be able to do that with a cadaver heart). The cadaver heart color was actually about the same as the skeletal muscles, which makes sense since the heart is just a really special muscle.

    ReplyDelete